Submitted By: Shelly Poetker
Shelly Says: " This recipe could very well be over 100 years old. It was inherited through my uncles ( in - law ) grandmother. It's super fluffy and provides a lot of fibre to your diet. "
Yeild: 3 loaves
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup oil or lard
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bran flakes
- 3 level tsp. salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tsp yeast
- White flour
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
- Mix in bran flakes, salt, and oil
- Mix in whole wheat flour
- Dough will be very sticky, add white flour until dough becomes workable with your hands
- Knead dough until it becomes very firm, this may take up to ten minutes
- Cover and let rise for approximately 1 hour
- Split dough into three equal parts and place into greased bread pans
- Cover and let rise for another hour until dough is just rounding over top of bread pans
- Bake in preheated oven at 350F for approximatly 35 - 40 minutes until outside is a deep golden brown
TIP: Let your bread "sweat" in the bread pan after baking for easier removal, approximately 5 minutes.