Recipe provided by Diane Dyck
- 8 slices of eye of round or sirloin, lightly pounded & ¼” thick
- ½ onion, sliced
- 8 slices of dill pickle
- 8 strips of smoked bacon
- 1 tbsp. grainy mustard
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 tbsp flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2oz. red wine
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Brush the beef slices with a little mustard on the inside and place 1 strip of bacon, 1 pickle slice and some onion on top.
- Roll them up and secure with butcher’s twine.
- Heat the oil in a skillet: dredge the beef rolls in little flour and fry them in the skillet until seared on all sides.
- Deglaze with the wine and beef broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and simmer for about 30 min.
- Preserve the cooking liquid for gravy. Heat the butter in a pan and sauté the garlic. Add the flour and stir until it is lightly golden. Add the cooking juices and stir until smooth. Serve the gravy over the beef rouladen.